Friday, February 11, 2011

My name is Rebecca and I am a kale-o-holic


How has everyone been? I'm hoping to photograph a lot of my meals, but I have yet to figure out why my card reader is acting up. Boo. 


I have had some yummy meals that included some leftover lentil chili (it's one I will have to make again, so I will post pictures once I do), the best boxed mac and cheese I've had in a long time (Whole Foods' Organic Shells and Cheese), a few bagel thins for breakfasts, a couple of yum-tastic (and healthy to boot!) quesadillas, but best of all: KALE! Kale is my utter obsession. John, the boyfriend, can attest that I get way too excited about kale. One time, we went to the grocery store and I made a b-line to the kale. I kept stuffing more and more into the bag until John said, "Do you realize that bag is double the size of your head?!" Why yes, I had realized that it was, but 1) kale cooks down like most greens, and 2) I eat it at times once, sometimes twice, a day. According to WebMD:


"One cup of kale contains 36 calories, 5 grams of fiber, and 15% of the daily requirement of calcium and vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), 40% of magnesium, 180% of vitamin A, 200% of vitamin C, and 1,020% of vitamin K. It is also a good source of minerals copper, potassium, iron, manganese, and phosphorus." (link)


Kale is fairly inexpensive, easy to cook, and so good for you. What is not to like? Honestly, there's one way I cook it: kale chips. You read that right, kale chips. It's so easy, it barely requires a recipe, but here's mine:


Kale Chips


1 bunch of kale (or however you want to make....it's a loose recipe)
Salt to taste
Olive oil or cooking spray for pan and kale


1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 
2) Grease a sheet pan (I usually put foil down, then grease it)
3) Wash kale and remove the leaves from the stems (the stems are tougher and hard to eat). You just have to literally rip the leaves off the stem. Easy!
4) Lay out kale in one single layer on the pan.
5) Spray with cooking spray (or drizzle olive oil) and sprinkle salt to taste on kale leaves. Toss them around.
6) Throw pan in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Check halfway through to toss the kale for even cooking. Take them out when the edges of the kale are dry and crispy.


That is it. Super easy, super delicious, and super healthy! I eat these a lot as opposed to potato chips. They obviously aren't the same, but they are healthy and definitely fill the salt void. Want to know how happy eating kale makes me? Okay, so that's actually just me dancing at my recent birthday celebration, but the excitement on my face equals the excitement I get from eating kale. 


Anyone tried kale before? Have any favorite ways to eat it? I'd love to know!


(sorry about the text and spacing....cannot figure out why it is acting up, but please bare (bear? beer? Ooh, now I want a drink) with me. 

4 comments:

  1. I don't believe I have ever tried kale. I guess I should!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really good and super easy to make. You've got to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I've never had Kale in my life. I'm more of a fresh spinach sauted in garlic with a dash of lemon guy.

    I am always open to new greens though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neal- John doesn't love the kale chips, so I sauteed some for him a few days ago and he thought it tasted like spinach. Just add some oil to a pan, then add the kale and garlic. After a bit, add a splash of water to add some steam. It'll be delicious!

    ReplyDelete