Monday, April 16, 2012

Am I really an ultra runner?

I'm in a running funk and it's bad. The last couple of weeks, I've been dreading my long runs and when I do run them, I fall apart during them. When I read about other runners who adore their long runs, I just think about how much I hate my long runs. Shouldn't I adore it with every fiber of my being like every one else seems to? I'm learning, maybe not so. This has me wonder if I really am cut out to be an ultra runner or if I'm just in a bad mental funk.

Two weeks ago, when I did my 28 miler and didn't have a great run, I just blew it off knowing that bad runs happen. This weekend, I was back home and got in a 30.5 miler on a much hillier path than I'm used to running. I felt awesome for the first 13 miles, then tiredness set in and I just couldn't keep up my pace. The whole time I was falling apart, I kept thinking of a million other things I would rather be doing than suffering through the run. I kept questioning my abilities, my mental strength, and my true desire to run ultras.
Source
I've become known by friends, family, co-workers, and friends of friends as "that crazy person who runs a lot." I almost feel the that it is the expectation I've created about myself that I must live up to. I know that isn't true, but if I didn't do ultras all the time, what would I do and who would I be? I don't want to quit running all together, I just need to find a happy space mentally for my training and races. I've fallen down the negative rabbit hole and I need to pull myself out of it quickly. I have to understand that if I stopped doing ultras for a bit, people wouldn't be disappointed and honestly probably wouldn't care.

What does this mean for my next couple of races? I have my 12 hour race in less than 4 weeks and my 100 miler in less than 10. I'll see how my 12 hour race goes and go from there. I need to realize that it's okay if I don't do well at of my races all the time and that going out there and attempting it is an accomplishment in itself. I hate being such a Debbie Downer, but if I was perky and happy all the time, I wouldn't be an honest person.

Here's to hoping the next few weeks go better than the last and that if I overcome this, it leaves me stronger than before.

7 comments:

  1. I love how your "long runs" are about twice as far as mine are... I've been in a funk too... I went from getting faster and faster to getting exercised induced asthma and gaining the nickname wheezy... Just consider these crappy long runs as mental preparation... And like you said, nobody's going to be disappointed in you if you take a step back and reevaluate whats going on. You're just that "Crazy runner girl" because they just cant understand unless they've done it before! Kick some ass at MTD! Sorry I can't be there, I'll only be doing a measly 25k, and hopefully not wheezing the whole time doing it!!! -Ryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ryan! I will be super bummed that you and most of the gang won't be back, but I'll try to have fun without you guys! Keep up the good work and hopefully the asthma will go away asap!

      Delete
  2. Stop it! Snap out of it! Get back on the horse!
    Your are DIESEL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummmmmm I meant

      YOU ARE A DIESEL,

      Delete
    2. Alright, which MCM buddy is this? Either way, I appreciate the pep talk and am going to do my best to pull myself out of it! :D

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry you're feeling in a funk. Go with your gut though. If you aren't enjoying your long runs, maybe consider holding off until you look forward to them. You will fall in love with running again and you are still an ultra runner no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristin! It's been a tough time because at times, I know how lucky I am to be capable of running and to be able to and at other times, I just don't feel into it. I'm hoping it gets cleared up soon.

      On another note, you think we can get a Philly blogger get together soon? I'd love that!

      Thanks again!

      Delete