Friday, March 4, 2011

Book Review of 2/3rds of "End of Overeating" and impromptu NYC trip

I have been terrible about blogging. I haven't had much food in the apartment, therefore haven't had fun dinners to write about. I am going grocery shopping, so that will not be the same next week!

Ultramarathon training has been going well. I have been getting in all of my runs and have also been doing yoga once a week. I haven't been keeping up with my core, but I will be working on that. I am getting in my 18 miler tomorrow bright and early. Why is that? John, Joey, my mom, and I are heading to New York City! Mom IMed me this morning asking me if I wanted to head to NYC with Joey and her and that John was invited to. Why the heck not?! I hadn't serious plans other than my run, so I'm stoked! We have a noon bus to NYC tomorrow, so I'll have to get up super early to get in my 18 miles. It is totally worth it. I'll bring my camera and hope I can upload pictures from the trip!
*sigh* I <3 New York!
*****
I have been wanting to read The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite  by Dr. David A Kessler for a long time. He used to be the head of the FDA, so he knows his stuff. I am only about 2/3rds of the way in, so my review won't be a full one, but I am loving it already! I find myself eating so much when I am not hungry, overdoing it with portions, and eating a lot of sweets and empty calories. The book is broken up into different sections, including one focusing on the physiological changes due to salt, fat, and sugar we consume, a section on how the food industry creates foods that get us hooked on them, and further sections on breaking the cycle of overeating. 

So far, it has been really interesting. I have tried to be more conscious of my eating, but it hasn't all be successful (part of the gig to stop overeating includes falters because that will happen). Just yesterday, out on a work field trip, I had a bagel at 11 am. At noon, they had lunch for us (crazy, right?!). Instead of diving into the sandwiches while I was not hungry, I instead had some salad and a bit of bread. I also happily avoided any of the sweets they had out (minus the strawberries...those are healthy!). I felt really successful in the hopes to stop overeating. Today, I failed a bit with eating a bit more candy at the office than I hoped. It's all good, it is part of the process. I can't wait to finish it, though!

Great read so far

Okay, with just 30 minutes left until the weekend, I am excited! Can't wait for the fun weekend ahead! Happy weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment