Monday, December 12, 2011

Can you find my motivation? I surely can't.

Maybe it's because I have been training for some sort of race for nearly the past 2 years with very little breaks. Maybe it's because I just trained the most consistently for a marathon in my life the past 6 months. Maybe it's because I just ran two marathons in a week. Maybe it's all three, but what I do know is that my motivation to run has gone missing.

It all started Saturday when I had an entire free day to run 14 miles and also to run some errands. I haven't had a free day to do nothing in a long time, so I didn't feel the need to rush to get my run in. As the day went by, I completed most of my errands (mailing gifts, creating my first DIY scarf as a test for a gift!), but couldn't get my butt up to run. I honestly feel not excited at all to be training for another race. I am excited to race, but not excited to be right back into the thick of marathon training. I tried to tell myself the things that motivate me like, "You never regret a workout" and "You drank a fair amount last night. Might be good to burn that off." I just couldn't get up.
Cat memes FTW
I started to think that maybe I'm not mentally ready to prep for another marathon and what good is it to force myself to do something I don't want to do? Do I want to grow to resent and hate running? No, but was that me just coming up with good excuses to be lazy? I don't know, honestly. I did 300 reps of the BodyRock 1000 rep workout, which kicked my booty, but was really fun. I am contemplating just taking the month of December easy (focus on running a few times a week, yoga, and cross training), starting ultra training in January, and bump down from the full to half marathon for the Surf City USA Marathon on Feb 5th. I don't really want to race a half marathon and a full marathon would be better prep for my ultra training, but the idea of training for a marathon right now sounds as awesome as pouring hot sauce into my eyes.

Who knows how I'll feel this week. Maybe I just had a bad weekend, but I'm hoping some that throughout the week, I can find my motivation. I've looked everywhere for it, but alas, it is elusive. Here's to hoping it comes back soon!

2 comments:

  1. Don't be afraid to take some time off from running (or training at least). You'll come back with rested legs, and a better mental state. You may be slightly out of shape, but with all those base miles you've bank, it wouldn't take long to get back into race-ready condition.

    I've learned, through injury-forced furloughs, that with experience (which you do have), you can pull a marathon out of your arse without too much pain. Just run a little slower, leave the watch at home, and enjoy yourself.

    I ran the Philly marathon last year after peaking at maybe 25 miles/week and taking 2 weeks off in the middle of peak month due to a calf strain. I ended up running maybe 8-10 minutes slower than what I would have done with proper training.

    You could always do the full at Surf City, but treat it like a long Sunday run. Worst case, you can always drop out, but you might surprise yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, thanks for the kind words and smart advice! I don't like to be in a race and not truly race it (my competitive nature), but maybe I'll work to just relax and run it for fun. Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete