Tuesday, August 9, 2011

I'm shaking in my boots

As I've started training for my fourth (wow, that seems nuts to say) half and full marathons, I've thought a lot about my running the last few years. In the last few years, I've run 5ks, 10ks, 5 mile races, half marathons, marathons, and ultra marathons. I have run a lot of races, but I have a confession to make:



I'm scared. What am I scared of? Oodles of things, like triathlons, trail running, distance-based ultras, and even marathons!

The more I've thought about it, the more I've realized that I am scared of things that are out of my confort zone. I'm not a strong swimmer (can barely do one whole lap without my lungs burning like crazy), I'm so out of shape for trail running that trails intimidate me, distance-based ultras mean I could possibly get the dreaded DNF (did not finish), and marathon training means I'm running much faster than in training for ultras. Lots of people have joked that training for my half and full marathons must feel like a breeze, but it's really hard and scary for me, honestly; I am comfortable going really slow for hours upon hours. I envy people like Shannon for doing her two tris this year and making it seem easy!

I have realized that I do repeat certain races because I just adore them (Mind the Ducks 12 hour!), but I also am not branching out because I am a scaredy cat. I hope that in the upcoming year or so, I can branch out and have the guts to do something out of my comfort zone.

Anything that scares you that you hope to do in the next year?

4 comments:

  1. I did my first marathon on very little training. My longest run was a 10 mile trail run that I maybe ran 7 of those 10 miles. Then I had this idea. Screw logic and go do something I'm not sure I can do, which will make fishing oh so much more rewarding! It took 7 hours, but I finished, best part is that it should be an easy PR.... haha

    Try something new, and don't look at it as a failure if you don't finish, or not in a "respectable" time. The fact is that you tried to do something most people wouldn't even give a thought about.

    Don't be scurdddd, you'll just miss out on some fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the smart and kind words! I'm hoping to do something new next year (or maybe the end of the year...might do a 50k in December).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it funny that a girl that will sign up for a 24 hour race is intimidated by a 50k... I dont get it! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've found that being out of my comfort zone makes me prepare more. The more stuff I do that's out of my comfort zone, the more comfortable I feel when I'm on out there, over my head, ass hanging out in the wind!

    ReplyDelete