Thursday, February 6, 2014

Maybe I don't hate yoga...

I've had a fledgeling relationship with yoga for the last handful of months. I know how good it is for me and my health, but during classes, I've not enjoyed it at all. I enjoy the feeling of being done a class far more than actually being in one. I've stopped going to classes because honestly, I hated paying for something that I didn't enjoy. Like many people who force themselves to eat healthy foods when they don't want to, I felt that way about yoga. Until this week...

This week, a friend and co-worker asked me if I wanted to join her for a Bikram yoga class near our office after work. I agreed to go without really thinking that I would probably hate it (like the person who orders a salad because they know it's good, only to remember they hate salads). As I ran there (in snow boots, no less) to make it to the class on time, I wondered, "Why am I doing this? I don't like yoga."
The 26 poses done in every Birkam yoga class
I hurriedly signed in, set up my mat next to my friend, and let the 105 degree heat and upped humidity hit me. I was about to sweat and not enjoy myself for 90 minutes. But as the class progressed, I found myself, dare I say, enjoying the class. Yes, the heat and humidity was hard, but I adjust somehow and just focused on my poses and doing my best.

In the end, I actually really enjoyed it. The heat allowed me to get deeper into poses. I also enjoyed the lack of Sun Salutations, which I usually detest in other styles. I ended up taking my shirt off, doing most of the practice in a sports bra and shorts. Did I feel comfortable? Far from it! I'm really self-conscious of my midsection, but with so many other people in minimal clothing and the heat getting oppressive, I just stopped caring. There was something so freeing about not caring (okay, not caring AS much), so I think that added to the class enjoyment. The teacher was also friendly, funny, and helpful, which is a key!

I ended up getting the intro pass, so I spent $30 for 30 days of unlimited classes. Can't beat it! I hope that I can continue to go as I know it'll be a great counter to my ultra marathon training now.

7 comments:

  1. What a great way to start your day. I love yoga and do it my home..

    Learn Reiki | Reiki Chennai | Reiki India

    ReplyDelete
  2. In this way, your teacher ought to have the tolerance to work with your present physical bent and mental capacity.thailand yoga teacher training

    ReplyDelete
  3. He informs Arjuna that acting in the name of Krishna (or divine) will provide him with the liberation that he has set forth to achieve. crown chakra meditation

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yoga shirts follow the same rule as yoga pants. They should be comfortable and loose enough to allow free movement, but not so loose that your teacher can't see how well you are doing your asanas. http://bit.ly/2F5YRjD

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are rub extras for Yoga which regularly encourages your body to unwind as well. www.adlist24.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love to read this post. thanks

    ReplyDelete