Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Birthday Celebrations and Trying New Things

Whew, I feel like I actually had a relaxing week and weekend, but when I look back, it was actually really busy.

Las week, I participated in a yoga benefit for Back on My Feet at Dhayana Yoga in Fairmount. I haven't been to yoga in a few weeks, so it was really fun, especially since the money raised went to an organization I loved and a bunch of friends were there.

Not the highest-quality photo, but I'm all the way on the left
in the blue. I felt way lower than I clearly was! 
I also got in my long run this weekend, which was 16 miles with 10 at goal marathon pace. When I did a long run with miles at goal marathon pace a month ago, I struggled. I hit all of my paces, but it wasn't easy whatsoever. I was shocked that this time, my paces felt good and I felt strong. Was I happy to do my last 3 miles at a slower pace? You bet your bum I was! Did I feel like maybe this BQ idea isn't completely ludicrous? Maybe it isn't! Am I knocking on wood right now so that I don't jinx myself? 100%.
My teammate, Meaghan, and I dominated (well, we had loads of fun).

We also celebrated John's birthday this weekend! He wanted to do a pub golf, which is essentially a pub crawl with a golf theme with teams. We didn't follow the normal rules, so it really was just a pub crawl, but I had braided pigtails and my argyle compression socks on, ready to golf/drink the day away. We had lots of drinks and some food late at night (the veggie burger at Good Dog hit the spot like whoah). All in all, it was a fun celebration!

I promise you the birthday boy was happy, even if he doesn't look it here. 

Last week, I also learned that I can enjoy salmon cooked. Growing up, my mom would cook us fish frequently and I ate it, but one day, I realized I didn't like it. Since then, I had nevered cook fish for John and me. I adore sushi and raw fish, but don't like the texture of it cooked. I ordered a food delivery box and one of the meals was salmon. I decided to keep an open mind (and undercook it a bit) and lo and behold, I really enjoyed it. It feels like my dinner options are so much wider now that I won't be choosing from our normal protein options. Yay for keeping an open mind!

Anything that you've learned to love as you got older? 

4 comments:

  1. Try grilling or baking salmon coated in a horseradish/apricot-preserve sauce. You can find lots of variants on the interwebs, and it's tasty and easy to make.

    The sauce sounds strange, but is awesome, and helps keep the salmon from drying out even if you do overcook it a bit. The apricots caramelize on the salmon creating a nice sweet crunch on the edges of the filet. The horseradish provides a subtle bite, and helps prevent the sweetness of the apricots from being cloying.

    Good luck on the BQ attempt this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying out new things is always great but making it a part of birthday celebration, that is a tremendous idea. Now I know what I will be doing on my next birthday. Thank you for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New things which are a great thing, and especially at a birthday party, it's a perfect one.
    I think some changes in birthday party and his / her birthday are very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing amazing information !!!!!!
    Please keep up sharing.

    ReplyDelete