Monday, March 19, 2012

Bootcamp recap and a 100 miler

As readers know from my last post, I signed up for Tina Reale's Best Body Bootcamp and last week was Week 2. We were to preform the same workouts as Week 1, but the timing of the exercises was different (instead of preforming the action for 2 seconds, holding 1 second, then letting go for 2, we were to do 4 seconds up, 1 second hold, 2 seconds down, then pulse 15 times after each set). Boy, was I sore, but I felt good doing it!

One exercise in particular was extremely difficult for me Week 1: the one leg sit and stands. For this past week's workouts, I found myself doing the easier version (opposite heel on the ground) without even testing if I could do the exercise as prescribed normally. I assumed that I wasn't capable of doing it and when I gave myself the chance, I proved myself wrong. Not only could I do more than a few, but I was able to do nearly all of them without the aid of my other leg! This made me think that I may be creating walls and roadblocks for myself when I am fearful of not being capable of doing something.
Source
That lesson lead me to probably one of the craziest things I've ever done: I registered for my first 100 mile race. As an ultrarunner, I've always known a 100 miler was something I would attempt, I just never knew I'd register so soon. I heard about the Great New York 100 miler from a running friend and I was immediately intrigued. A 100 miler throughout all of NYC and the surrounding areas?! For some, that sounds awful. To me, it sounded like a really cool way to get to know the city and attempt my first 100 miler. After contemplating it and discussing it with some running friends and the BF, I knew I had to push myself and try it. If I didn't sign up, I'd regret that I never gave myself the opportunity to even try.

With the race less than 14 weeks away, I am beyond excited and nervous, but I cannot wait until that weekend where I get to see what I'm capable of. That's what ultras are for, right? For me, that's a good portion of what they are about.

Anyone do anything fun this weekend? Any fun race training or ways you pushed yourself. I'd love to hear!

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on the big decision!!! I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristin! I'm really excited, but every time I think about it my stomach does nervous jumps. I don't feel ready, but I know it's feasible.

      Delete
  2. Reb! If you're coming to NY, I better see you! Even if it means cheering at you from the sidelines as you whizz past! -Srav

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Srav, I better see you! My plan is to come up the Friday before and leave the Sunday it ends. If you did come out, trust me, I wouldn't be whizzing by (more like slowly putting one foot in front of the other). Hope it works out that I can see you!

      Delete
  3. Very exciting! So let me get this clear; you're planning on running by yourself in a sleep deprived state in the middle of the night through every neighborhood imaginable of NYC. That's pretty badass!

    The Dirty German Endurance Festival (25K/50K/50M) in north Philly is 1 month before your 100 miler. Might be a nice warm-up race? True, it's a trail race, but is not considered technical at all. Uberendurance Sports puts on a good event - you should consider it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David! The plan isn't to run alone as I'll be hoping to stick with some other friends running it and have lined-up two friends to pace, but who knows how it will even go. I'm just hoping I can survive and finish in the 28 hour time window.

      I did see that race, but I am not sure I should run it. I have my 12 hour race just 6 weeks before the 100 and I don't know if doing that race would leave me with enough recovery time between races. I really wish I could because it looks so awesome! Maybe I'll see if I can volunteer at it instead!

      Delete
  4. You are amazing! Such a great goal!

    Good luck training!

    ReplyDelete